Some children have allergies to specific metals, and this should be kept in mind when purchasing jewelry. One of the most common allergies related to jewelry is an allergy to nickel. This metal is often used as a base for inexpensive jewelry. It can cause a skin rash that will usually clear up in a few days after contact with the material.
Another concern is lead. This is a dangerous substance that has been found in toy jewelry manufactured abroad. Lead and some other dangerous metals, such as cadmium, present a special worry when given to young children who tend to put items in their mouths. This goes beyond the baby and toddler stage, and each parent likely knows their child well enough to determine the risks.